Abbotsford Private Hospital maintains the patients’ rights of privacy and confidentiality as per the Privacy Act 2001 (including Act No. 108, 2014).
All collection of information, use and disclosure, data handling, quality, access and correction will be in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (contained in schedule 1 of the Privacy Act 2001 and as per the hospital’s Privacy Statement).
- Patient is requested to sign a Carer Consent Form at admission which allows for the hospital to communicate a level of information to a designated carer/s.
- Information relating to a patient’s admission status or clinical progress can only be provided to people as indicated in the Carer Consent Form.
- Staff must confirm the identity of the carer before providing information.
Request for information
- A request for information should be made in writing by the patient.
- Persons other than the patient where a request may be made include:
- Medical emergency
- The handling of requests for information is overseen by Abbotsford’s senior management.
- Handling of requests will be as per the Australian Privacy Principles / Hospital Privacy Statement. Record of consent, access, acceptance/denial will be kept in the requesting patient’s medical record relative to the request.
- Requests for personal information or access to patient records prior to December 2001 will be taken on a case-by-case basis. This information has been archived and is not in current use.