You Need Support Too
Our support includes combined consumer-carer care planning, admission- discharge planning, and post-discharge reviews. We aim to equip participants with the tools they need to create more stability in their lives and that of their loved one.
Participants will benefit from the support of a compassionate team who listens without judgement. You can learn to:
- Understand the goals and processes of the hospital
- Understand your role.
- Develop skills, knowledge and understanding about mental health.
- Develop an informed and objective approach to recovery, rehabilitation and quality of life.
- Share your story confidentially and in a supportive environment.
- Develop coping strategies guided by skilled health professionals.
- Access supportive networks of people who are experiencing similar circumstances.
Further access to relevant Day Patient Programs is available following our referrals and day patient admission pathways.
Contact us for further information.
Inpatient Carers’ Support Group
Offered weekly, two hour evening session
These groups are only available to carers of patients who are currently undergoing treatment at Abbotsford.
Participants receive an overview of the hospital and a detailed explanation of our treatment programs. The discharge process is discussed and we address any questions participants may have. Post-discharge support is also outlined.
The open group format allows family and carers to attend sessions as frequently or as infrequently as they like, when they feel they need support throughout a patient’s treatment. A referral is not required for this group.